Instagram story highlights are a great way for you to categorise your work and for people to get to know you better. Create custom Instagram story highlight covers, and you’ll see they are more eye-catching on your main profile and a good way to keep your feed on-brand and looking cohesive.
I love the story highlight facility on Instagram to curate different aspects of my work and behind the scenes work that I share in Instagram my stories.
I originally shared this how-to on custom covers, in my Instagram story last week. After so many messages I thought I would share this how-to create custom Instagram story highlight covers here too.
Steps to Create Custom Instagram Story Highlight Covers
- The image size for Instagram stories is 1080 pixels x 1920 pixels (or 9:16 ratio)
- I’ve used Photoshop to create my covers with a bespoke background and icons, but there are plenty of apps that you could use to create custom covers with. An app like Word Swag would be perfectly suitable to create pretty designs with a nice background and simple text.
- If you are using Photoshop or other image editing software, save your image as a JPEG.
- Upload your covers to a service such as Dropbox so you can easily download them to your phone’s camera roll.
- Upload your new covers to your Instagram story as usual, from your phone’s camera roll.
- Create a new highlight. You will be able to select your new cover from your latest story images and videos.
- Once you have selected the images to appear in your Instagram story highlight, click the ‘edit cover’ option to choose your custom cover and position it.
- REMEMBER the images appear in your story highlight in chronological order ie the date order that you added them to your story. If you want to add old images to new highlights, (for example, I have free wallpapers from a few weeks back I’d like to curate into my ‘Wallpaper’ highlight,) you will have to re-upload them to your story and then add them to your Instagram story highlight via the story archive.
Create Custom Instagram Story Highlight Covers in summary…
Do tag me on your Instagram story with your new story highlight covers, I’d love to see them.
I’ll be running an Instagram masterclass along with Kerry from Social Brighton in May. Date to be confirmed but here’s an outline of the Instagram masterclass course. You can email me if you would like me to inform you when the next date becomes available and get the early bird price.
Have an inspired day
If you found this useful, you may also enjoy this post on how to Compose Eye Catching Images for Instagram Part 1: Symmetry and Create Eye Catching Images for Instagram Part 2: Rule of Thirds
Pin For Later