Illustration Life #36 & my rant about Personal Branding!
Hi inter-friends. The 2nd vlog is now live – I’m feeling very excited about my YouTube channel and have sooooo many ideas for content and tutorials I want to add.
Here’s a brief summary of this week’s Illustration Life #36 wins and frustrations (and that rant about my dislike for the term ‘personal brand’)
Wins This Week
- My hair! The mullet has gone. I know you’re whooping with me on this one 😉
- I published my 1st vlog last week. And from the time of publishing this week’s vlog, my following has gone from 4 to 8 subscribers. That’s gotta be worth another whoop right?
- My glorious monthly newsletter went out last week. I only mention 1 free image in the vlog. However, I’ll let you into a little secret. Subscribers actually got two free high-resolution images this month. I like going nice things like that; giving out little freebies. So sign yourself up here for something special directly to your inbox every month.
- Last week, I eased myself back into writing tutorials for the blog. 5 Simple Floral Flat Lay Design Tips. I’ll be doing more on the vlog too. Go me!
- New designs are finished. Specifically a floral alphabet print design for personalised prints and cards which will be popping up in my shop very soon
Frustrations This Week
- Framing. It’s time-consuming, I don’t enjoy it and it’s not profitable. When you own your own creative business, you have to be laser focused with your time. Unfortunately, as much as I like to think I’m Wonder Woman, I’m not, so the framing has had to go.
- Personal Branding. Urrggg! I’m reading a lot of fantastic books, listening to insightful podcasts and interviews from business gurus. One term that keeps popping up is personal branding. I totally believe in business branding. Yet, personal branding to me sounds wanky, pretentious and a bit like blue sky thinking. So I’ve had a bit of rant on my vlog. If you disagree and you’re a personal branding god or goddess feel free to try to persuade me otherwise.
My biggest anxiety about publishing this week’s vlog was expressing an opinion that could be deemed unpopular and naive. Looking like a fool.
However, I feel it’s important we express our feeling – however stupid or naïve we may think we look!
In addition, I decided to stop offering a framing service for my art prints. A decision that, in the short-term, could lose me sales. However, I know it’s a good decision based on the bigger picture and my creative business journey.
Knowing what is good for us in our personal and business lives, being able to voice our feelings and opinions is incredibly important, to stay creative and open to new possibilities. Basically, being AUTHENTIC. Especially when we receive so much ‘advice’ and myriad messages about what we ‘should’ and ‘need’ to be doing to be successful. Without authenticity, we’ll never succeed because we’ll be spending too much time trying to please everyone else
So the quote seeing me though this week is from American poet, painter and author E.E.Cummings:
To be nobody but myself-in a world which is doing its best, night and day, to make me somebody else-means to fight the hardest battle any human can fight, and never stop fighting.
Have an inspired day